If you are a dog lover, then this is no surprise to you but I am the complete opposite. I mean don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate dogs but I have never been an animal lover. In fact, I am extremely scared of dogs but I have always loved them from a distance. So I thought it was time I put the effort to get to know them a bit better. We have been living side-by-side for about years and years, so you might think we know each other pretty well. But there’s more to them than fetching and playing dead.
There are hundreds of official dog breeds in the world and even more mixes and mutts than we can count. Each dog has his own unique set of characteristics and personality. But one thing is certain; these love-able and wonderful companions are fascinating creatures even though I am scared at most of them time to time.
Here are some little-known 10 random facts about human’s best friend;
1) All dogs can be traced back 40 million years ago to a weasel-like animal called the Miacis.
2) Ancient Egyptians admired and respected their dogs. When a pet dog would die, the owners shaved off their eyebrows, smeared mud in their hair, and mourned aloud for days.
3) Small quantities of grapes and raisins can cause renal failure in dogs.
4) Chocolate, macadamia nuts, cooked onions, or anything with caffeine can also be deadly to dogs.
5) Dogs have sweat glands in between their paws.
6) A dog’s shoulder blades are unattached to the rest of the skeleton. This allows more flexibility when running.
7) Puppies are sometimes rejected by their mother if they are born by cesarean and cleaned up before being given back to her.
8 ) The most dogs ever owned by one person were 5,000 Mastiffs owned by Kubla Khan.
9) A puppy is born blind, deaf, and toothless.
10) The Basenji is the world’s only bark less dog.