There are many ways for people to learn a new language nowadays and I’ll let you know some of the ways they do. As you read I can tell you what are the benefits of knowing multiple languages. Hope you will enjoy this article as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Here are some of the different ways to learn a new language:
1. Watching Movies & TV
One of the ways many people learn languages is by watching TV programs or films with the subtitles on. Explore the different language subtitles on the DVD you are watching, or rent a foreign movie and read the subtitles in your own language. It’s a more relaxing and entertaining way to learn a language and you can sit there, chill out, enjoy a good movie and absorb the words and phrases without having to actively take part in learning. I personally love watching French movies, because of the way French language sounds. Yes, I am trying but I have a long way to go…
2. Listening to CD’s & Educational DVD’s
Language course CDs are great if you don’t have much time on your hands. Burn them onto your iPod, or your iPhone and listen to them while you’re lying on the beach, going for a run, trying to get to sleep at night, on the bus, in the car or waiting in line in the supermarket. Make use of all that time spent waiting by becoming fluent in another language.
3. Listening to Music
Everyone loves music because it’s fun and having fun is important when you’re trying to learn a language. Songs are catchy and easy to listen to, so try downloading or buying music in a foreign language. Repetition is the key to learning, so if you listen to the same song over and over again you will eventually know the words. Trust me, I happen to love a song that is in Spanish (I won’t tell you what song) and I truly believe that I memorized almost about 100% of the words but no, I will not sing it out loud : D
4. Visit a foreign country
By far the best way to learn the language of a country is immersion. Live in the country where they speak the language you want to learn and perhaps even stay with a host family there. By living in the country you are forced to learn the language because you are interacting every day with people in a language that is not your own. I have many friends who visited and stayed with host families in foreign countries and pick up the language in a very short time. At least learned enough to get by. The difference is that you will see the words on things like; road signs and menus and hear them being spoken wherever you go.
5. Find a foreign friend
When you’re traveling, you’re bound to meet a variety of people from different countries. Take advantage of this great opportunity to learn a foreign language and ask them how to say things in their lingo.
6. Reading Newspapers & Magazines
This is a bit more on the boring side , but if you are a determined person reading newspapers or magazines will put you on the right direction on vocabulary or grammar. Words are not always written how they sound, so reading newspapers and magazines is a great way to see them in written form. Get your news in a foreign language and learn new vocabulary in subjects such as economics, business and politics. If there are words you don’t understand, write them down and look them up in a dictionary later.
7. Take a class
Some people prefer to learn languages by being in a classroom because it gives them a place to focus and a physical building where they can go to learn. The benefits of learning in a classroom are that you meet other people, you are being taught by someone who has been trained to teach you and you can get support if you are having trouble with anything. If you have a little money to spare then this can be a good option.
Now that I have talked about different ways to learn a new language, let me also say why learning a new language is very important in my opinion.
Why should I learn a new language?
1. The first reason is because you’ll have a lot more culture. People who have culture are people who are knowledgeable and who know their way around life. If you know another language, you’ll be more cultured simply because this would permit you to travel more and you’ll know the world better.
2. The second is because people will like you. People like people with knowledge, whom they can learn from, as long as you’re not a show-off. People like hearing stories from other countries and from others, so by telling them about your travelling with your new language you may develop new friendships.
3. The third is because you’ll discover so much. Not only will you be more open to a whole new culture, you’ll be able to meet thousands of other people thanks to your extra language. No one knows where life will take us, and knowing this extra language might just make your life completely different.
4. The fourth is because you’ll develop your mind. By learning you’re exercising your brain, and so you should be faster at memorizing and doing simple mental exercises. When you learn a new language you need to put words and verbs together, which works your brain. You’ll be very good at associating other things as well.
5. The fifth reason why you should learn another language is because it’s fun. However, you need to make it fun. Learning a language isn’t easy, but by enjoying the experience and turning it into an interactive game you can truly have a lot of fun. You can also learn along from or with someone else, which should be amusing for both of you.
There you have it – 5 good reasons why you should get a good course on any language and start learning. We all talk… I’ll learn Spanish after I retire or I’ll start learning this when I finish that… But if you don’t get yourself a course now, then you most probably will never get one. Now is the time to start studying a new language, not later. You’ll benefit from knowing this language sooner than later. So get those books out and start studying! I hope you all enjoyed my article! If you did please like it so I can win a free trip somewhere & learn a new language!!